“You see, no Catholic parish is complete without a parish school….Childhood is the time for education, and religion is distinctly a matter of education.” Fr. John M. Handly 1915
Sacred Heart Cathedral School seeks to provide a Catholic learning environment conducive to educating the whole child – spiritually, intellectual, psychological, socially and physically. It draws on the wealth of its Catholic and cultural heritage to offer a program of quality education which combines intellectual achievement with progress in the knowledge, love and service of God and neighbor.
Sacred Heart Cathedral School serves Catholic elementary school children of Dodge City in Grades Kindergarten through eighth grade. All available resources are utilized to challenge the gifted and to supply the needs of children with learning disabilities and emotional problems. Special programs and services are offered in cooperation with USD #443 and USD #613.
Sacred Heart Cathedral School opened as a mission school, in the remodeled old church, in September 1916. The Sisters of St. Joseph of Wichita began their educational mission with the parish at that time. The first enrollment listed 72 students and two classrooms. By the late 1920’s there was major over crowding so major additions to the school were constructed in 1929, 1949, and in 1954. Sacred Heart Church became a cathedral for the newly erected Diocese of Dodge City in 1951. The Cathedral and School was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1982 at the 100th anniversary of the church. The prominent architecture of the church and building are perfect examples of Spanish Mission design.
Currently there are 176 students enrolled at Sacred Heart (2015). Currently there are 20 students enrolled at Sacred Heart Pre-School. (2015)