“Marriage is a call to give oneself to one’s spouse as fully as Christ gave himself to the Church.” -United States Conference of Catholic Bishops, Marriage: Love and Life in the Divine Plan, 32
The vocation to marriage is a beautiful expression of God's free, total, faithful, and fruitful love. Your desire to receive the Sacrament of Holy Matrimony is a great blessing for you and for the Church! To begin preparation for this sacrament and to learn more about the preparation process we invite you to contact the parish office to set up an appointment.
Here is some basic information about the preparation process that might be helpful before you meet with the priest or pastoral minister:
The Diocesan norm requires the couple to contact the priest or deacon at least four months prior to the wedding. The bride or groom must be registered in our parish. Couples from another parish, must have permission of their pastor to begin preparation work.
The Cathedral of Our Lady of Guadalupe has a detailed policy outlining the procedure and guidelines for marriage preparation. It covers important details regarding the preparation for the Sacrament, guidelines for setting the date, rules on the use of the facility and decorating the church, photography guidelines, and the fees involved. This document can be found on the Marriage Preparation Documents page, and should be reviewed with the priest or pastoral minister.
Elements of Marriage Preparation
The required steps of preparation for marriage in the Catholic Church are offered in hopes that the sacredness and beauty of the Sacrament of Marriage will be ever more apparent, that hearts will be touched by God’s love, and that the grace of God will be manifest as these guidelines are followed (Diocese of Dodge City Guidelines).
- Instrument - Completion the Prepare Enrich couple assessment and discussion of the results with the priest or pastoral minister.
- Event - Attendance at an Engaged-Encounter retreat weekend or couple-to-couple group session (see www.dcdiocese.org/engaged-encounter for Engaged Encounter dates for the Dodge City Diocese)
- Sessions - The Cathedral also asks couples to attend an Introductory Session to Natural Family Planning (NFP) and also a session of Theology of the Body as part of their preparation. The schedule for these sessions will be made available in the parish bulletin and website.
- Other sessions with Priest or Pastoral Minister may also be required in helping the couple to develop an understanding and appreciation of the Sacrament of Marriage.
- If the engaged couple is coming from another Diocese, we ask that they participate in the approved marriage preparation program of their Diocese, with the inclusion of the Natural Family Planning Session
Helpful Online Resources
Spoken Bride is a Catholic life-style blog for Brides and Newlyweds.
Helpful post: Navigating the New Revised Rite of Matrimony
ForYourMarriage.org is an excellent resource for couples who are dating, engaged, newlyweds or married! This is a good place to start for those who want more information on what to expect at a Catholic wedding.
Helpful Post: Planning a Catholic Wedding